Thursday, March 25, 2010

Free-dom, Peace, and Happiness


on the corner stoop
in a tattered brown box
are things for free

nubby sweaters
cracked handle-missing mugs
old mixed tapes of forgotten songs
a condom wrapper
- inappropriately discarded -
twelve mismatched forks

things loved once
now neglected
or never cared for at all


you may ride by on your bicycle
and behold this junk

it is offered up
for you to take
and use in your home

you may rummage through
pick nits
examine any loose threads
sniff
dust off with your hand

take your pick
take it all

take nothing

true
all things have a shelf-life
rotting damaged goods
get discounted prices
in the supermarket

but some things are good
for just a little while longer
past their expiration date

noelle boosinger, september 2007


I love love LOVE coming across "free" boxes and goods, and around SE Portland I find them quite often. I'll be coming home from work at noon or on my way to the grocery store when I spot something on the street corner. OH! Treasure! I really can't resist digging through every box or pile of discarded things - maybe at the bottom there's my prize. I've found/adopted so many items that are now some of my most cherished and unique pieces. Clothes, kitchen utensils, dish-ware, pillow-cases, picture frames, chairs...you name it and someone doesn't want it anymore so they're sharing it with you! Recycle, reduce...yeah those are great. But re-use! That's one of my favorite ways to save the planet. Sure, some things I find and fall in love with need repairs, re-purposing/up-cycling, cleaning or painting... but I get so excited anticipating exactly how it will look and fit into my life. Other things are golden from the get-go and I always feel like the luckiest person alive for being gifted that one perfect, meant-for-me thing. Either way, I'm always so grateful for the bounty I bring home, grateful for the wonderful possessions someone has kindly blessed me with, FOR FREE! Sweet!

Of course, how freeing it is to return the favor and offer my own gifts to those who want or need them. Every few months I purge and de-clutter the unneeded things around our home. Sometimes all I have to offer are a few pairs of shoes that gave me blisters or books that I can't resell, often found originally in free boxes. My husband and I are not keen on having a lot of stuff that we don't need and absolutely love. We're pretty minimalistic folks. However few, those items are staying out of the landfills and going to another home where they will be taken care of and cherished for a little while longer. That makes me feel so good!

How about you? Are "free" boxes plentiful in your neck of the woods? Or do you participate in swaps, freecyle, or bartering organizations? I'd love to hear about it.

Also, remind me and some day soon I'll write to you to share my awesome source for free women's clothing here in Portland!

0 comments:

Post a Comment